A Retailer Guide to Commercial Insurance Purchasing in CT and NY

Retail insurance; business insurance; Westport Businesses; Fairfield County Insurance; Top Insurance Agents in CT; Tom AyresDaigle & Travers Insurance, a Connecticut based independent insurance agency with three convenient locations, specializes in commercial insurance throughout the Tri-State area. With over 35 years of insurance experience, we can tailor an insurance policy to any unique business. Regardless if you operate your business with an online platform or out of a brick-and-mortar location, this retailer guide to commercial insurance is for you.


Here are some common questions retailers have when it comes to insurance, hopefully we can help answer some of them.

    • How do I best protect my retail business?
    • What liabilities do I have?
    • Am I purchasing commercial insurance that best fits the needs of my business?
    • Is my commercial insurance policy tailored to my needs?
    • I have employees, what insurance is required? Moreover, if I have employees, what is recommended?
    • I take credit cards; do I need any special coverage?


When you are purchasing a commercial insurance program there are many coverages that you need to consider. Our retailer guide to commercial insurance provides an overview of a few of the core coverages that we recommend. Further, consult a licensed insurance professional when purchasing commercial insurance to get the best coverage for your specific circumstance.

Remember don’t skimp on your coverage. NO ONE wants to pay for insurance because they don’t think they will ever use it. If the day comes when you need it, you don’t want to be a penny wise and pound foolish.

Basic coverage terms the help you through the purchase process:

  1. Property insurance covers losses and damages to real and/or personal property.
  2. Boiler and machinery insurance (or equipment breakdown or mechanical breakdown coverage) covers boilers, machinery and equipment. Though it may seem irrelevant to retail, this includes computers.
  3. Flood insurance helps cover your business property and commercial building if a flood causes damage. In general, most standard commercial insurance policies exclude flood insurance.
  4. Glass insurance covers broken store windows and plate glass windows.
  5. Inland marine insurance covers property in transit and other people’s items on your property. Your commercial property limit only covers your contents within 1000 feet of your physical location. Inland Marine offers broader coverage.
  6. Business interruption insurance covers lost income and expenses resulting from property damage or loss. In other words, if you can’t operate your business for a period of time.
  7. Ordinance or law insurance covers expenses related to demolishing and rebuilding to code when your commercial building has been damaged. Similarly in a total loss scenario.
  8. Tenant’s insurance (or renter’s insurance) covers damages to improvements you’ve made to your rental space. In addition, it covers damages caused by employee negligence.
  9. Crime insurance covers theft, burglary and robbery from both employees and external sources.
  10. Fidelity bonds cover losses due to a bonded employee’s theft.
  11. Liability insurance covers injuries that you or your property cause to third parties.Retail insurance; business insurance; Westport Businesses; Fairfield County Insurance; Top Insurance Agents in CT; Tom Ayres; flood insurance; employee liability; employment practices
  12. Commercial umbrella is excess liability coverage that can exceed your liability policy, including commercial auto and workers’ compensation policy.
  13. Automobile insurance covers cars, vans, trucks and trailers used for your business. Hired and None Owned Auto is appropriate if you don’t own a commercial vehicle.
  14. Workers’ compensation insurance covers employees’ on-the-job injuries. The law often requires this commercial insurance.
  15. Disability insurance is a requirement in addition to workers’ compensation for New York State businesses with employees.

Cyber Attacks

Many retail businesses don’t think about cyber hacking. Nevertheless, retail business is just as susceptible as any other business and sometimes more. Did you know that 62% of victims of cyber attacks are small to midsize businesses?

Your retail store likely receives orders every day from customers who pay by credit card. Consequently, cyber criminals may find opportunity to access customer information. Cyber criminals are constantly using new and sophisticated ways to hack payment systems, access accounts and even steal identities.

Valuable information may be stolen if your system is hacked. So, these five cyber coverages can help cover costs incurred in case this happens:

  • Data Breach
  • Business Income
  • Electronic Vandalism Coverage
  • Fraudulent Transfer
  • Business Income Extension for Cloud Service Interruption

Employee Liability

Do you have employees in your business? If a staff or ex-staff member sues you, do you know what insurance protects you as an employer?

Employment Practices Liability (EPL) helps pay for defense costs and settlements or judgments if you’re sued by an employee alleging a wrongful act related to your employment practices. Additionally, this policy will provide coverage if a customer or vendor alleges sexual harassment or discrimination by one of your employees.


After reading the retailer guide to commercial insurance, reach out to Daigle & Travers Insurance for more information. We have three convenient locations in Connecticut: Wilton, Darien, and Westport. One of our many experienced insurance professionals will be able to guide you through the insurance process. Reach out to us at (203) 655-6974 or at info@dt-ins.com